Agreement regarding the changes in paraprofessional duties and working conditions during the COVID period.
It is the intention of both parties to incorporate the following into an overarching memorandum of understanding that is made in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic and the DOE response thereto:
On-site paraprofessionals, during their contractual workday, when they are not working directly with a specific student or class, may be directed to:
• assist with arrival and/or dismissal including busing
• assist with health screening upon entry
• provide student and parent outreach
• provide other administrative duties including but not limited to hall duty, cafeteria duty, attendance processing
Paraprofessionals will not be required to stay in the school building for more than 6 hours and 20 minutes per day. Paraprofessionals will be expected to remotely perform the equivalent of 30 minutes of work.
Paraprofessional Classroom Manager
DOE will post the position of Paraprofessional Classroom Manager. The paraprofessional classroom manager will receive a per term stipend of $1,750 to perform this work. Among those paraprofessionals that apply, priority will be given to those who have been accepted into the Lead Teacher Assistant (LTA) pool but have not been selected for an LTA position.
The duties of this position shall be to manage classrooms of students, under the general direction of a pedagogue, while the students:
• perform independent work
• eat during non-instructional lunch
• are being instructed by a remote teacher during synchronous learning. In this scenario, the total class size (on-site students + remote students) may not exceed pre COVID class size limitations for that subject area/grade level.
In the event of an emergency, the paraprofessional classroom manager may teach a scheduled class when no teacher is available to cover.
• If a Paraprofessional Classroom Manager is asked to do more than 5 such emergency coverages in a term, then the PCA will be paid the teacher’s coverage rate (in addition to the stipend above).
The paraprofessional classroom manager will not be expected to teach except in an emergency coverage situation as described above.
The DOE must have just cause for any discipline (up to and including discharge) of a Paraprofessional CClassroom Manager for any conduct (incompetence and/or misconduct) that occurred while the Paraprofessional Classroom Manager was not under the direct supervision of licensed teacher.