Friday, August 25, 2017

CHALKBEAT DOES UNBIASED ATR PROFILES

We education bloggers often feel the frustration of writing about what is really going on in the schools but not hearing the side of the teachers given any consideration by the mainstream media. We have to be given some of the credit for today's objective Chalkbeat article by Christina Veiga that featured not one or two but three Absent Teacher Reserves who come off really positively.

EdNotes, NYC Educator, Chaz and ICE have been highly critical of the one sided pieces that have been done by the press viciously attacking the ATRs without really hearing much from real life ATRs. Chalkbeat at least told the ATR side in detail in today's piece although they did have the usual anti-ATR stuff in there so we certainly could not call this a puff piece.

Since our post came out last weekend rating the press reports on ATRs, both Selim Algar from the Post and Chalkbeat's Christina Veiga emailed me. Selim and I have a dialogue going and Chalkbeat today wrote their article on the three ATRs. We salute Kathy Perez (a friend from MORE for a long time), Deborah Williams, and Leonard Robinson for going on the record. I know that Ms.Veiga talked to at least one other ATR because I put her in touch with my colleague Bob Klugman, a 31 year veteran math teacher who previously worked for NASA.

Here is some of what Kathy said from the article:

“When I go to work now, I don’t have a name. My name is ‘ATR,’” she said. “They talk about you like you’re furniture. I’ve heard conversations where I’m sitting there and they say, ‘Well, I’ve got the ATR here.’

“It’s like, ‘I’ve been in your building for a month. You can use my name.’” 

We will keep doing our work of telling the truth about New York City schools and hopefully the media will do their job of doing some further objective education reporting.

10 comments:

Harris L. said...

I'm certain that I will be disemboweled for leaving a comment like this.

The ATR profiles are deeply touching and I'm glad that the personal stories of at least some teachers are finally being heard.

That said, and duly acknowledging the UFT's role in creating this mess, there does come a point in people's lives when they make a decision: continue to struggle against Herculean odds to make a satisfying and "fair" place where one can continue to do what one wants to do and loves to do or to move on to something else, perhaps initially--even permanently--at a loss of salary but with the potential to be able to create a new career with the hope of professional success and personal happiness.

I know that this is not an easy time to do this--and not an easy time in the lives of 50 or 60 year olds, in particular, for whom retirement may make sense.

I have respect for the teachers who fight on but if it's this miserable for so many people for so long staying, just to stay because of uncertainty about what the future may bring or to make a case that one has been wrongly treated, seems, perhaps not entirely appropriate. I wouldn't claim to make this decision for anyone. I do know that I would make it for myself in such a situation. Perhaps some folks trapped in the swamp of the ATR need to make a similar decision.

The rest of you can bring out your knives to flay me now...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful what Ms. Vega stated. I have also heard ATRs referred to as 'my ATR' like ATRs are cattle/slaves/owned. Listen, if someone says these types of statements, it shows an inferiority complex in their part. People that make such statements feel grandiose and their egos get inflated because they are getting beat down by their administrators, are angry and resentful. What better way than to try to degrade an educator or other title in the ATR pool by referring to those within the pool in this way. Very disrespectful.

Anonymous said...

These stories are realities of being in the ATR pool. Each story sheds light on SOME of what an ATR educator has to go through. There is much more.......

Anonymous said...

$125K is not enough for all the torment Ms. Vega had to endure and the physical injuries Ms. Vega has to live with. Ms. Vega must be in constant pain. Again, $125K is not enough.

I hope all get placed in positions that will utilize their strengths and title while still being able to grow as professionals.

Anonymous said...

@7:26PM - We need to fight this to save our profession as educators so NO, ATRs are staying til this ATR BS is over.

Anonymous said...

Harris L,

I was pushed into a corner and I finally made a decision to leave my position. If truth be told, it is rough out there. I am devouring the books Fifty-five, Unemployed, and Faking Normal and Cracking the Hidden Job Market. I am supposed to be juggling one hundred leads at one time and talking to everybody about my job search. Resumes are written completely differently and uploaded rather than mailed. I am heavily reliant on my younger friends. It is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Abigail Shure

Bronx ATR said...

Hey Mike,
I find it astounding that Chalkbeat did such a superb job writing about these experiences of a few ATRs. These experiences are hardly the exception and very common. Yet the UFT publish a monthly rag, The NY Teacher, that hasn't mentioned the term ATR in years except for a recent paragraph detailing a buyout. (Better yet, the UFT's recent statement denies the UFT's role in the creation of the ATR pool.) Hey Mulgrew, Chalkbeat treats us with more respect than the f--king UFT. Why hasn't that rag of yours done articles, kept us informed or even mentioned our shared situations? I've always been loyal to the UFT, used to go to marches and wear a UFT pin on my lapel. If Janus comes I WILL NOT STOP PAYING DUES. The UFT needs to apologize for its creation of the ATR pool and end it for good.

Anonymous said...

.....and let's add stop the harassment of ALL educators. This SH-T needs to stop.

James Eterno said...

Bronx ATR is right. We need a union to act like a union.

Anonymous said...

My admin closed my CTE program last day of school by surprise. No time to grieve , true setup. Kids are still in the program and they decided to replace my program with another and force the kids to take this new program that has nothing to do with the original one they came here for. Does anyone care? Nope......

Second time this admin closes a CTE program down and hurts the kids.

My kids went to bat for me , online petition and all. I was humbled .

So as of now, I'm a new ATR. Counter productive ain't it.... meanwhile I have seniority in another program.....

The high school in question is on Staten Island. The only CTE designated one there .... it's amazing .....