Wednesday, October 29, 2014

ANOTHER MANDATORY INTERVIEW WHERE THERE IS NO OPENING

Yesterday I was sent yet again for a mandated interview for a job that has already been filled. This one was particularly awkward as the person in the position is a colleague from Jamaica and a longtime friend.

While I would not at all mind working at this particular school (Hillcrest HS) and the assistant principal who interviewed me was very professional,  the thought of replacing a friend was unsettling. Also, classes that I was scheduled to cover at the school I am assigned to now had to be filled by others. What a waste of time, energy and money.

Some people would react by saying thank you to the Department of Education for giving me a chance to see old friends instead of working for some of the day. I am having a difficult time transforming my thinking this way.

Has anybody else been sent on interviews for jobs that are already being covered or is it just me?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang tough man...because what you are experiencing probably will not change in the foreseeable future....focus on your paycheck....focus on that...and getiting out the system...if I was remotely close to retirement I would not be too concerned with this bullshit.

Anonymous said...

Cruz at campus magnet continues to abuse teachers. when will we stand up to this kind of treatment. please write about him. he must be stopped. never have I seen a person this bad in my life!!!!! many teacher openings at his school and others who can't wait to leave but are forced to stay. why would someone in authority act the way he does. we are all in this together and he should encourage teachers as well as students to do the best they can.

Anonymous said...

Fake interviews at Queens Voc too. I think of it as a mini vacation . Go in late or leave early - it's great . And yes Cruz needs to go - he is barely human .

Anonymous said...

Yes, many of my friends have been sent on interviews to elementary schools (they're all licensed high school teachers). There were no vacancies there. I think this longer time period rotation is a little easier than the weekly; I hope they don't change it. Then again they can do whatever they want - no problem with the UFT. I don't think it's natural for so many union members to have such hatred for the union.

Anonymous said...

I was told by Amy Arundel you can only be ordered to take a mandatory interview in your appointed license area. High School people should not be going to JHS or Elemntary interviews. Please check it out

David Hedges said...

The trick, in getting unwanted employees to leave, is to get them to want to leave. It's easy to do: just deprive them of the sense of community that everyone seeks. ATRs are treated this way- deprived of community, and it precipitates a feeling of isolation and existential crisis. The UFT may not 'want' us to feel this way but our bosses do, and many who survive by placating authority do.

Being sent to an interview where there is no vacancy is an error that is probably not part of the evil wishes of the Bloomberg-Klein era. I wouldn't take it too personally.

When you can make a good impression, (also known as networking), do. It will serve you better than carrying indignation with you.

Anonymous said...

I agree. cruz is not a person you would want to work for. The keys to a good Principal is leadership and respect. He has neither.

Anonymous said...

3 weeks in a good school is great - 3 weeks in far rock or with Cruz is hell on earth

Anonymous said...

If you really hate them, then work to vote them out.

Anonymous said...

Why would yo want to make a good impression in a school you would not want to work in?