Tuesday, October 21, 2014

MIDDLE COLLEGE ASSIGNMENT MAKES ME 2 FOR 2 AS ATR

I was a bit concerned yesterday as I was sent to a new school as a rotating Absent Teacher Reserve. I am pleased to report I have hit the jackpot for a second time in a row by being sent to Middle College High School.

This school operates nothing like Aviation, the fine school I was assigned to for seven weeks but it is a great place to work.

If Aviation produced culture shock for me due to all the kids coming back to the building after a period 9 fire drill, at Middle College the culture is so friendly so it almost doesn't feel like a high school. At times I think I am in a college because the students basically act so grown up.

I'm also having the pleasure of working again with two colleagues from Jamaica who teach here and rolled out the red carpet welcome as well as a former Jamaica Safety Agent who is here. The administration is professional as is the Chapter Leader who is an old friend.

I hope I don't jinx myself by writing about my luck in my first two ATR assignments but based on what I have seen, I would stay at Middle College in a second if this school wanted to hire me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you continue to find wonderful locations. Like I said, they should roll out the red carpet since you're a UFT rock star!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in yet another shit hole in the Bronx! But I'm happy for you, friend.

Chaz said...

I was there last year and was treated well by the school staff, students,and the administration.

Anonymous said...

Brother, I met you only once, but, I think you are a great person Your spirit inspires me. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you . I am now stuck in one of the 6 schools in campus maggot . Can't wait to leave already .

James Eterno said...

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

This is all by design James. You get sent to all the country clubs and then report back that the life of an ATR isn't so bad after all.

James Eterno said...

If that is true then I suggest every ATR start a blog. Country clubs is a bit of a stretch also

Anonymous said...

From SJR....2 for 2? Just like "OL' SCRAP IRON, PHIL GARNER"

Anonymous said...

wait until you go to far rock, campus maget, as well as august martin. let the fun times begin!!!!!

David Hedges said...

I hope I don't jinx you, but watch out for the secretary who assigns the coverages. You will be hit with "four-in-a-rows" very often." Here's how she does it: you will already have a three-in-a-row and then she will send a coverage slip to you, via student a messenger. She will also give you six, not five classes to cover. Her son is one of the inmates who runs the asylum, fyi. Gets away with murder. You will be marked "1 minute absent" and if you have a family emergency, like the funeral of a close family member, your CAR will be deducted for any absence, no matter what. Sorry, Pollyanna doesn't live here anymore.

Anonymous said...

Deleting posts you don't like, James? Seems like you are no better than Unity.

James Eterno said...

No posts have been deleted. Try again. I only delete excessive profanity as this is a school related blog that kids sometimes look at. Say what you want about me or ICE. Just keep it clean.