Updated: It's nice to be wrong predicting school would be open on Thursday. Earlier we wrote that the odds were against a snow day (see below) based on the forecasts we were seeing at the end of the school day.
Surprise, surprise, schools are closed in NYC for Thursday, January 4, 2018. I called it wrong earlier and am happy to admit it. You never know how these storms will move. Good job de Blasio. You get credit for this one.
I just checked AccuWeather again and they are saying that the chances that NYC gets 3 inches of snow or less are 18% and the chances for more than 6 inches are 17% while there is a 65% chance that NYC gets 3-6 inches. Yes I am pleasantly surprised that they closed schools so early with an 83% probability of 6 inches or less of snow for the city.
Maybe the way the city thinks about when to close schools during snowstorms is really changing for good. Last year they closed schools twice and now once in January this year. That's positive news unless we have to start giving up days in spring break or midwinter recess because schools are closed during minor storms. We'll see.
Below is our original post from 3:18 pm this afternoon:
The talk of the teachers today is about snow.
What are the chances of us getting a snow day for Thursday?
Judging by the forecast I just looked at, I would say the odds are against it.
This looks like the worst kind of storm for teachers and students: bad enough for it to be dangerous for us to travel but not so treacherous that it is totally impossible to get through. I expect NYC schools will be open while many of the suburbs will shut down or have delayed openings.
Maybe Carmen Farina will declare it a beautiful day.