I heard from chapter leaders that their chapter leader backpacks arrived the last few days. In it was:
- Tools for Schools, an Overview for a Safe, Healthy, and Secure School Environment
- School Safety, Victim Support Program
- A Bunch of COPE cards (Can't forget to get money for politicians, can we?)
- Leaflets to put on the UFT Bulletin Board
- Leaflets on Teacher leadership
- COPE Pen
- Pouch with chapstick, bandaids, and ointment in a small tiny pouch.
- A Plastic file folder
What was missing?
- No UFT Contracts for each title
- No UFT Chapter Leader Handbook
- No UFT Constitution
The backpack itself gets a nice review for quality but how is the chapter leader supposed to do the job without a Contract or a Chapter Leader Handbook to guide her/him? The UFT in the past sent the contracts for many titles and the Union's Constitution to Chapter leaders in these backpacks. No more.
I'm old school and liked to carry the Contract around to show its importance like Hall of Fame baseball manager Earl Weaver used to carry around a rulebook. I'd refer to it in a second if an administrator or UFT member asked but I haven't seen a written UFT Contract since the 2007-2009 edition. I don't even think there is a current Contract online. Only the 2009-2018 version exists online. The current Contract, now three years old, (remember it was agreed to months before the prior one expired) still only exists as a Memorandum of Agreement. The UFT and DOE had a year and a half to incorporate the contractual changes in writing before the pandemic but I guess they couldn't be bothered.
Please no snarky comment about how I demand that you pay dues to this inept organization. No, I want you as a collective to take it over and fix it.