Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Even Though I Never Met Him!

I never met James, but read his blog religiously. When I was considering running for chapter leader in the spring of 2021, I emailed James unsolicited for advice, and he gave it.

After being elected chapter leader, I reached out for guidance about filing an operational complaint against my principal, and again James gave me advice. Then, through negotiation I got my staff (at least) a partial remote day. Something that wouldn't have happened if I just listened to my district rep. When I emailed James later to let him know how things turned out he congratulated me for "getting something out of nothing".

James was a wealth of information, and his blog remains one. He held leadership accountable but now there is one less voice left to "do the work".

During the start of my fifth year teaching I was excessed. As a special education teacher, this was shocking, but the worst part was finding out my role wasn't even replaced. My school was able to get by completely without me. You can put in all the time in the world to make the school day a little more special for your students, but in the end we're cogs, and when one pops out, another one goes in. A disheartening realization, but a realistic one.

I mention this because James is far from replaceable, and the opposite of a cog! The UFT has lost a member of value, a transformative leader, one who stood up for all of us, and I will miss James even though I never met him.

Mike Muntner

No comments: