Thursday, February 08, 2024

From James Mills

I met James about a decade ago at a boisterous ATR meeting. He gave a powerful speech and I was very impressed. 

That was the only time I met him. We stayed in contact at least once a month and often much more. Over the years he advised me on matters big and small. I also sent many teachers to him - especially those who had already made a less than satisfying visit to the UFT. 

He helped everyone. We also debated historical events, figures and even music frequently via email and occasionally on the ICE blog. He never got angry. He respected all viewpoints - even those that at best would be considered politically incorrect. His non-judgmental style was admirable and almost unique among the teachers I knew. He was always the voice of reason, and coupled with action - he was a force of nature. 

James was a perennial optimist that has deeply affected many people and will continue to do so. 

Still, I will miss him. Goodbye James.

Jim Mills

No comments: