Wednesday, February 07, 2024

From Kathy Forrestal

I first met James Eterno when I was a student at Jamaica (class of 1994).  He and I arrived at the school about the same time, I later learned.  

I never had him as a teacher but learned so much from him all the same. He and I reconnected to fight against Jamaica's closure, and when I later decided to make a career change into teaching, he supported me every step of the way.  

He offered advice, allowed me to observe his class for many of my required hours, and connected me with other great teachers to observe, as well.  

One of my favorite memories of that time was when I shared one of his teaching activities in my graduate class without naming the school.  My classmates were so impressed, and then so confused when I told them where I'd done my observations.  I remember students spending free periods in his college office, with him supporting them and mentoring them as learners and people.  

He was an amazing and dedicated teacher and was proof the DOE was wrong when it closed Jamaica with negative comments about the teaching staff.  Once I started student teaching and teaching, we stayed in touch for a while, with him continuing to offer me support.  I regret that we lost touch and that I never told him how much all his support meant to me.  

I know I will never forget him and will be eternally grateful to him for all that he taught me.  

No comments: